Hacker Storytelling is a new way to tell stories on the Internet, in a way that is open by default.
Hacker Storytelling uses several tools to help you tell stories, and is completely stored and operating on Github.
There are several key technologies at play here:
- Jekyll - Jekyll is a simple, blog aware, static site generator. It takes a template directory (representing the raw form of a website), runs it through Textile or Markdown and Liquid converters, and spits out a complete, static website.
- Mustache Templates - A simple way to render structured data from JSON files, using basic HTML templates for displaying--instead of pulling directly from database.
- Gists - Gist is a simple way to share snippets and pastes with others. All gists are git repositories, so they are automatically versioned, forkable and usable as a git repository.
These technologies will provide you with a simple, client-side toolbox for telling stories using:
- Pages - Static HTML pages
- Blog - Chronological blog posts
- Data - Structured data lists and detail pages
- Presentations - Simple, flowing presentations
- Code - Code samples and snippets in Github Gists.
These basic tools, plus the open, browser-based hosting environment introduced by Github, makes for a rich, online storytelling format.
This new approach to storytelling is not just about words. Hacker Storytelling is about weaving in data and code, to make your stories richer and more meaningful.
I'm also playing with other concepts around Markup APIs and Markdown APIs, as this is a work in progress--intended to give me the best possible story telling toolbox possible.
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- Hacker Storytelling - Ed-Tech Funding
- The Power and Potential of Github Pages
- Search » Ben Balter
- On Losing My Storytelling Voice
- Fix Your Boring Slides - Waxy.org
- Taking Over Someone Elses Opensource Project Musings Of Parker J Moore
- GitHub, GeoJSON and CartoDB
- Using CartoDB to tell stories in open data
- OKCon 2013 Guest Post: How to turn data into stories